AMISOM AND SMPU TRAINING WITH EU TEAMMarch 20, 2019 - 10:10
EU NAVFOR recently supported a successful joint Somali / Ugandan maritime leadership training exercise course in the capital, Mogadishu. Delivered by British Peace Support Team (Africa), the week long course involved junior officers from both the Somali Police Force Maritime Police Unit and the Ugandan African Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) Marine Unit, and saw them […]
AUTONOMOUS VESSEL PROTECTION DETACHMENTS SUPPORTING THE WORLD FOOD PROGRAMMEMarch 13, 2019 - 11:39
One of EU NAVFOR’s mandated tasks is to provide protection to World Food Programme (WFP) ships that bring food aid to Somalia. This has ensured the safe delivery of over 1.8 million tonnes of food aid to the ports of Somalia as of February 2019. The use of Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachments (AVPD) who are […]
EU NAVFOR 31ST FORCE HEADQUARTERS READY FOR DUTYMarch 10, 2019 - 09:10
Counter-piracy operations require a constant presence of maritime forces designed to monitor and deter piracy and armed robbery at sea. EU NAVFOR has been continuing this effort for over 10 years and has maritime and aviation forces continuing to work off the coast of Somalia. Saturday 9th March saw a ceremony on the EU NAVFOR […]
ITS MARGOTTINI RE-JOINING EU NAVFOR COUNTER-PIRACY MISSIONMarch 8, 2019 - 10:01
ITS Margottini is re-joining EU NAVFOR for its second six-month tour participating in Op Atalanta, the European Union’s first naval operation, launched in 2008 to prevent piracy at sea off the Horn of Africa and in the Indian Ocean. Commanded by Commander Marco Guerriero, the ITS Carlo Margottini was built in 2014. Although it specialises […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||455|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,817,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.