Chief of Chilean Navy Visits Operation Atalanta Headquarters in RotaJune 14, 2019 - 09:16
“Operation ATALANTA is more than just the units we have deployed in the area. We are working in a key area for international trade.” R. Adm. Antonio Martorell Lacave Rota, 12 June 2019 — On Wednesday afternoon, the Chief of the Chilean Navy, Admiral Julio Leiva Molina, visited the Operation Headquarters (OHQ) to learn more […]
German P3-C Orion Heads Home After Another Successful Deployment with EU NAVFORJune 13, 2019 - 15:07
“With high continuity and personal engagement, the German Navy sailors, and also soldiers of the other branches of the Bundeswehr, are fulfilling their duty in this politically and climatically demanding region.” Captain Guido Brach, German Navy Djibouti, 12 June 2019—On Thursday, Operation Atalanta’s German P-3C had its last flight of its most recent deployment with […]
Operation Atlanta Force Commander Visits Chief of Royal Navy of OmanJune 12, 2019 - 09:06
“The presence of EU NAVFOR clearly benefits the security and stability of the region.” Rear Admiral Abdullah Bin Khamis Al Raisi Muscat, 08 June 2019—On Saturday morning, the ESPS Navarra’s Force Commander, Rear Admiral Ricardo Hernandez visited the Chief of the Oman Navy, Rear Admiral Abdullah Bin Khamis Al Raisi at the Oman Navy’s Headquarters. […]
Defense Lawyer Appointed to Represent Suspected Pirates at CourtJune 7, 2019 - 17:29
Suspects are set to reappear in court in the Seychelles on 21 June. In a hearing today, in accordance with Seychelles law, a Court in Victoria pressed charges against five individuals accused of acts of piracy. The accused were in the presence of their newly appointed defence lawyer. EU NAVFOR transferred the individuals to the […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||482|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,849,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.