EU NAVFOR MEETS GLOBAL SOMALI DIASPORA IN LONDONFebruary 14, 2019 - 15:17
Meeting with members of the Somali community is important for EU NAVFOR. It is an opportunity for the Somali community to learn the relevance of counter-piracy operations to their country and themselves, but also an opportunity for them to ask questions directly to EU NAVFOR. Representatives of the Global Somali Diaspora met with the team […]
EU NAVFOR SHIP EXERCISES WITH JAPANESE NAVYFebruary 6, 2019 - 09:30
EU NAVFOR ship ESPS Relampago recently met the Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force destroyer JDS Samidare in Djibouti. Whilst alongside the Commanding Officers met to discuss their ongoing operations in the Gulf of Aden. Meetings like this are important in the continuing development of relationships between participating countries to help increase capability and to deter piracy. […]
RELAMPAGO HOSTS INDIAN NAVY PERSONNEL IN DJIBOUTIFebruary 5, 2019 - 11:35
EU NAVFOR personnel have hosted representatives of the Indian Navy aboard ESPS Relampago in Djibouti. The Indian Navy is currently represented in Djibouti by the Talwar class frigate INS Trikand, which has been taking part in exercise Cutlass Express: a regional maritime security exercise in which EU NAVFOR partners have also taken part. Cooperation with […]
EU NAVFOR HOSTS SHIPPING INDUSTRY LEADERSFebruary 1, 2019 - 13:38
On 31 January, the EU NAVFOR Operational Commander, Major General Charles Stickland, hosted a High-Level Industry Strategy meeting at the Operation Headquarters in Northwood. This was attended by the leadership of Shipping Industry Associations. The meeting was also attended by the next Operational Commander, Vice Admiral Antonio Martarell of the Spanish Navy, who will take […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||454|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,813,6733|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.